Is anyone else feeling like me? Where did the year go? I can’t believe it’s almost summer! My kids are in the homestretch at school and finals are just around the corner. We just dropped their care packages off at the post office, nothing like some sugar and munchies for those late night study sessions. I remember those days well. Wes made his Good Cookies which truly are the study cookie of choice for our kids (I’m not jealous in the least bit, nope not at all….brats). We packed homemade granola, Hawaiian style sweet bread buns and dried mangos. I almost made the usual CCC but decided to change it up. Back in the recesses of my mind I remembered Jordan remarking how much he liked my Chocolate Sprinkles Cookies. Just maybe I could knock Wes’s Good Cookies off that number one spot in the care package derby….as you can tell I am not the least bit competitive .
The recipe for these kid friendly cookies comes from Bake or Break , an absolutely wonderful site with easy, delicious recipes for all things baked.
This cookie is a riff on chocolate chip cookies but by swapping chocolate sprinkles for chips the texture and taste is entirely transformed. Chocolate flavor permeates the whole cookie rather than that burst of chocolate you get when you bite into a chip. The edge of the cookie is crisp while the center is just a tad chewy. Those in the No Nuts camp will be happy…not a nut to be found in this cookie.
The star of this cookie are the sprinkles, so please make sure you use good quality chocolate sprinkles. You know, real chocolate sprinkles not waxy pretend wanna be sprinkles. Guittard makes delicious chocolate sprinkles that can be ordered from King Arthur Flour or if you have an Asian market or a market that carries Dutch products, DeRuijter has a line of chocolate sprinkles that are very good.
Make these cookies soon and sprinkle some happiness and yumminess on your kids or friends that are still kids at heart!
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or line baking sheets.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until almost combined. Stir in chocolate. Do not over mix.
- Using a small ice cream or cookie scoop (2 T) scoop and place dough onto lined pans.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Adjust cooking time for a chewy cookie decrease baking time ~1 minute for a crispier cookie increase baking time ~1 minute
- Transfer from pan to wire racks to cool completely.