This recipe is STUPID. EASY. Recipes on my blog are generally straight forward and simple, tailor made for a busy family, but this one? Well, this one is the poster child for stupid easy. But it is delicious, the perfect summer dessert. I found it on the blog NoRecipes by Marc Matsumoto (which, by the way, you should bookmark right now). Just three ingredients: cream, sugar and a citrus juice. It comes together in a snap. Heat and the citrus juice act as a natural thickener to create this delicious posset that is a cross between creme brûlée and pudding. The twist in this recipe is the Yuzu juice which gives it an exotic slightly tart flavor. It will have your friends guessing, “Hmmm, what is it?”
Yuzu is a Japanese fruit aptly described as what happens after a hook up between lemon, lime and grapefruit. You can be like me and let your inner OCD come out and hunt down actual Yuzu juice or you can go the easier, less pricey but still pretty tasty route and use lemon or lime juice. I found my Yuzu juice at a Japanese market. It is sold in bottles much like key lime juice. Look for real Yuzu juice as oppose to the stuff that is made from citrus fruit concentrates (I asked one of the employees to translate the labels). Actual Yuzu will be a bit more expensive.
Notice the cute little containers I used for my posset? The perfect size to serve a sweet treat at the end of any meal. These cute little jars started their lives as designer yogurt containers that caught my eye at the market. A cynic would say I paid for the packaging (ok they got me) but the yogurt was yummy and the jars are great for mouthwatering treats like these possets. They would also be perfect for panna cotta or a decadent homemade chocolate pudding. Hmmm, I think I need to go to the store for more yogurt now.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 (~2 ounces) cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons yuzu juice or substitute lemon or lime juice or a combination of the two
- Fresh berries for garnish
- Combine heavy cream and sugar in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add all of the yuzu or lemon juice at once.
- Stir until mixture thickens. It will still be a liquid just slightly thicker than the heavy whipping cream.
- Pour into cute little jars or cups.
- Place in fridge to chill. As the posset chills it will thicken to a pudding like consistency.
- Garnish with fresh berries
- This entire will process will take you about 10 minutes...really stupid easy