I got home from rowing the other morning and spied our stainless steel mixing bowl sitting on the counter. Hmm….looks like Wes made pancakes for breakfast. There was just enough batter left in the bowl for one good size pancake. The griddle was still on the stove so I turned the flame on, higher than I should have as a grumbling stomach will do that to you, and ladled the batter onto the pan. I watched as the pancake began to rise, bubbles formed and just as the edge of the pancake began to look dry I flipped it over. Immediately the pancake puffed up and I thought THIS IS THE PERFECT PANCAKE. I need to take a pic (ok, multiple pics) and wax poetically about this puppy.
As I was taking the photos a horrifying thought popped into my head. WHAT IF Wes actually used Bisquick this morning?! I couldn’t possibly immortalize a pancake made with a box mix. This was the perfect pancake, no chance this was a from a box but I had to be sure….I called him and this was the conversation that ensued.
Me: So, you made pancakes this morning?
Him: Yep. I left you some batter.
Me: Yep. Saw that.
Him: Yep. It’s pretty good.
Me: Ok (exasperated tone), is it Bisquick or from scratch.
Him: What do you think?
The smug look that crosses his face whenever I guess wrong…makes me shudder even thinking of it. It’s the look that says “HA, Ms. Foodie you are wrong, epic tastebud fail”.
Me: Scratch (with conviction)
Him: Yeah, scratch (with a tinge of resignation)
Me: HA, I KNEW IT! No way was that from a box. Happy Dance, uh huh, uh huh…..
In all fairness, Bisquick pancakes are pretty darn good and Wes does tweak them by adding melted butter. In a pinch or when feeling lazy we pull out that bright yellow box with the bold blue letters….and in a blink of an eye, pancakes anyone?
Our favorite pancake recipe comes from…don’t laugh, The Friends Cookbook. Yes, those friends..Ross, Rachel, Monica, Joey, Chandler and Phoebe. Trust me…the pancakes are delicious. Fluffy, tender, buttery, perfect with maple syrup or adorned with fresh berries or bananas.
Darn, why didn’t he leave me more batter!
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for pan
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to remove lumps.
- Melt butter.
- Whisk milk, eggs, melted butter together until smooth.
- Slowly stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix the batter just until combines. Do not over mix.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Wipe griddle with butter or oil.
- Ladle batter onto griddle 1/4 - 1/3 cup amount. Its up to you, how big or small you want your pancakes
- Cook until the tops are covered with bubbles, don't let them pop!
- Flip the pancakes and continue to cook until bottoms are golden brown.
- Voila' the perfect pancake(s)!