Our original novice women’s group got together the other night. Four of us are still rowing but the others have since moved on to other sports or endeavors. I can’t imagine why, doesn’t everyone love getting up at the crack of dawn four days a week? We met at Moultrup’s house, Gidge, 2-seat, Snookies, Way-way, and Aimster to catch up, eat, drink and be merry. We talked about lots of things, our kids, husbands, politics, books, fears, and of course rowing. We laughed, argued, reminisced, and teased each other just like families do when they get together..
Since I had to work that day I needed a quick and easy dish I could prep early and grab and go after work. One of my absolute favorite blogs is Smitten Kitchen, great recipes, wonderful writing, very entertaining. Her recipe for Sticky Sesame Chicken Wings fit the bill and is a favorite with my kids, hubby, friends, well, just about anyone who has tried them. I threw the wings into the marinade before heading to work, came home and popped them into the oven. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
- 3 pounds chicken wingettes or chicken wings (see note up top)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Pinch of cayenne or dash of Sriracha (I use the chili garlic paste ~1 heaping)tsp
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Make the marinade. Stir together garlic, salt, soy, hoisin, honey, sesame oil and cayenne or Siracha
- Add wings to marinade and mix well. Marinade at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a large shallow baking pan with foil and lightly oil it.Spread wings and any sauce that fell to the bottom of the bowl out on the prepared baking pan in one layer.
- Roast, turning over once, until cooked through, about 35 minutes. Transfer wings to a large serving bowl* and toss with sesame seeds and scallion.
- If wings need more color, broil for a couple minutes on high heat or finish the wings on the grill, decrease baking time by 5-10 minutes