From the New York Times
If you haven’t discovered it yet, the New York Times Cooking site is an absolute gem. It is filled with amazing recipes from the food writers of the NYT including Melissa Clark, Sam Sifton, Mark Bittman, and Florence Fabricant. If you subscribe to the site, each week a newsletter arrives in your inbox filled with the latest seasonal recipes and which ones are trending. All recipes are well written, easy to follow and accompanied by photos. I’ve tried quite a few with good results such as this chicken shawarma from Sam Sifton. And don’t forget to read the comments from other users, a critical bunch those NYT readers who do not hesitate to give their take on the recipes!
Chicken Shawarma NYT
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- Red-pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare marinade for the chicken. Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red-pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken, and toss well to coat. Cover, and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425. Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the quartered onion to the chicken and marinade, and toss once to combine. Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan, spreading everything evenly across it.
- Put the chicken in the oven, and roast until it is browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice into bits. (To make the chicken even more crisp, set a large pan over high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, then the sliced chicken, and sauté until everything curls tight in the heat.) Scatter the parsley over the top and serve with tomatoes, cucumbers, pita, white sauce, hot sauce, olives, fried eggplant, feta, rice — really anything you desire.
- Or grill chicken. Drain chicken from marinade, toss vegetables into marinade. Grill or oven roast onions and peppers. Grill chicken over indirect heat, turn halfway through, total grill time of 24 minutes for bone in chicken, 12-15 minutes for boneless.