An easy meal is “white poached chicken”, a classic Chinese dish. The chicken is poached in water or broth and served with a sauce of soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and scallions. This is similar to Singapore’s famous Hainanese Chicken Rice dish that made its way there with Chinese immigrants of Hainan Island. Its my kind of recipe simple and delicious!
- 1- 4 lb. chicken (or you can use chicken pieces)
- 6 T vegetable oil
- ¼ cup finely shredded fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, trimmed and cut into fine strips or diced
- 3 T soy sauce
- 3 T chicken stock
- 3 tsp sugar
- 11/2 T rice wine
- 11/2 tsp sesame oil
- Fill an 8 qt pot approximately 2/3 full with water. Bring water to a boil and add 1 1-inch knob of ginger crushed, ¼ cup rice wine, 1 t salt, & 3 scallions that have been crushed. Add chicken to boiling water (poaching liquid). Bring poaching liquid back to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let the chicken sit covered for 50 minutes. Save stock for soup or sauces.
- Pieces of chicken can also be poached this way. Reduce time of simmer to 5 minutes and let chicken pieces sit covered in pot for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep sauce. Shred ginger, dice the green onions, if you like it spicy, add ½ -1 jalapeno pepper, sliced. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, stock, sugar, dry sherry and sesame oil. Set aside.
- When chicken is done, remove from liquid and let sit until cool enough to handle. Cut chicken into serving pieces and place on platter.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan until you can see wisps of smoke. Add ginger, scallions and peppers to the oil. Be careful, as mixture will sizzle. Remove from heat immediately and add soy sauce mixture. If the sauce clouds, return to heat for a minute. Add a dash of white pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately with plenty of rice!
- The sauce can also be used for steamed fish or as a dipping sauce for seafood.
To take this dish a step further, the stock can be used to make a garlic ginger rice to serve with the chicken.
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained well
- 1 T vegetable oil/ 1 T salted butter
- 1/2-3/4 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
Heat oil and butter in sauce pan. Add ginger and garlic and saute until garlic starts to brown. Add rice and cook until the grains are evenly coated with oil/butter. Add stock, season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook until stock is fully absorbed and rice is cooked through, approximately 15 – 20 minutes. Or do what I do and at the point of adding stock, transfer rice to a rice cooker, add stock to the 3 cup line and let the rice cooker do it’s thing! Serve with chicken.